Thursday 24 October 2013

Researching Photographers

To gain further knowledge in terms of indie/alternative photography, I have explored Vikky Ivie's work to discover how and where images of this nature are taken. The photographs below represent my target audience and also represent the purpose of a music magazine hence why it is imperative that I explore these images further. These images will give me a clear sense of what kind of shot types I need, alongside the setting.

This image in particular represents the target audience through the shot type as well as the final editing. The images range from medium close-ups to long shots and extra long shots - this makes the images interesting to view as well as allowing them to represent the genre, audience and purpose of indie magazines.

These images have been edited in such a way so that they look old fashioned - this is maybe something that I want to do in my own images. Editing is a key part of this type of photography as it allows the images to represent the audience further through engaging filter styles. I may/may not want to incorporate this into my magazine - it will overall depend on the shot type, coupled with the miss-en-scene.

Ivie's work allows these images to represent the target audience in a number of ways - to begin they represent Laura Mulvey's theory that women are use in media for the desire of the male audience. Moreover, Ivie's images appeal to a female target audience through female desire to appear attractive and represent the 'indie feel'. 

Finally, I like these images because they are attractive, interesting photographs to view. Moreover, the photographer has used engaging models which represents key themes through miss-en-scene as well as lighting. I will create images which represent themes like this as it will allow me to produce images which represent the genre of 'indie'.

I will adapt the skills which I have learnt throughout this post to create images similar to Ivie's - I will do this through an experimentation between outdoor and indoor photography. This artist will improve my work as I now have a clear understanding of what kind of photographs looks good and what type don't. This will improve my work as I now understand what shot types look good, which filters may look good on my cover and also the kind of pose from my model which would look professional. 

This photography is specific to my work as she creates images that represent the key themes associated with the genre of 'Indie'. The photographer uses interesting techniques which appeals to me and my genre due to the interesting shot types and the edited effects on the images. I will try to replicate these techniques in my own work so that my images look professional and appeal to my audience. 


As a producer/photographer some of the possible challenges which I may have to overcome are the following: getting correct lighting in my images, finding interesting settings for my model to be photographed and editing my images to a high standard. I will also need to create a high level of muse-en-scene in terms of clothing and make-up to make my images look to the highest possible quality. If I can do this then my images will look professional, represent the genre, audience and purpose and they will become the focal point of my cover and contents pages - making them a high quality. 

1 comment:

  1. I'd say excellent.

    The most important thing with this kind of case study is:

    How do you adapt it to your work - how will this improve what you make?

    What is it specifically about this photographer? And how to replicate it?
    What are the challenges to you as a producer?
    Lighting and Mise-en-scene for e.g.

    ReplyDelete