Thursday 24 October 2013

Researching Photographic Techniques

The first video I have chosen to expand on my photographic techniques mainly focuses on lighting techniques and in particular the soft box. This tutorial explains how ad where to position the soft box and the presenter shows us how the octagonal soft box is used alongside other lighting.

From this tutorial I have learnt many different techniques and explored various ideas concerning use of soft boxes as well as lighting in general. I have learnt where and how to position soft boxes and also how to adapt and change the lighting depending on the subject. Moreover, the tutorial explains other lighting styles as well as the technique to use the soft box as a background for the image. 

Furthermore, the tutorial explains different poses for the subject of the image - it has allowed me to understand which positions look good and which look professional. I can now take these skills into my own photography when I create my own images. I will create a few 'tester' images to ensure that my understanding of studio photography is sufficient to create a professional pose. 

I like this tutorial because of the understanding gained through the topics and issues explained. Moreover, I have been able to build on my understanding of this area of photography which will in turn enhance my work. Despite this, I feel that the photographer could have explained certain aspects clearer regarding some sections of the lighting - this includes the instrument used to measure light coming through the soft box.


The next tutorial that I have chosen explain further the lighting used, the camera settings and also basic editing in Photoshop. The tutorial explain use of a beauty dish and various strobe lighting - this will help me vastly when taking my own images. The tutorial explains how to set up the lighting and where to place it. The tutorial then explains the camera settings regarding ISO, shutter speed and noise reduction (when editing the final images). 

From this tutorial I have learn about lighting used in professional studio shoots as well as basic camera settings, when taking images in a studio as well as mise-en-scene and editing. This will allow me to take professional images for my magazine cover and contents page and it has also allowed me to have a clear understanding of the background behind it. Moreover, I now understand why and where lighting is used and how it has an effect on the model. This is imperative for my success when taking my own images.

I like this tutorial because of the easy to understand, step by step analysis of how their images were taken. This tutorial also appeals to me because of the nature of the photographs taken - they are of a similar style to the ones that I will be taking for my magazine cover. I do however, feel that the photographer could have gone into further detail regarding the camera settings as this is an area which will help make my images look even better. 

These two tutorials have allowed me to understand how I am going to improve my work - I now understand the areas which I feel perhaps need a certain level of improvement. I will practise these skills in my own time to ensure that I can improve my skills and create work which looks professional and relevant to the genre and audience. 

These tutorials are specific to my final product as the both represent ideas in a studio background - hence showing me the types of skills required to create interesting photographs through use of soft boxes and camera settings. For me as the producer of this work I feel that I will need to practise these skills and fine tune them so that I can create professional images similar to that in the tutorials. I may need to overcome challenges such as cutting out natural light and setting up the lighting equipment in the first place. Once I have overcome these issues I would then be able to create perfect images.

Following on from the techniques I have learnt, I have had a photo shoot which incorporates and expands on them - this image has been took using lighting from a soft box. I have experimented with the shutter speed and other effects on the camera. This in turn has allowed me to create an image which look professional and in coherence with what's required in this genre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment