Tuesday 16 September 2014

Initial Thoughts on Genre and Styles

John Friske - “Attempts to structure some order into the wider range of texts and meanings that circulate in our culture for both the convenience of both producers and consumers.”

After having explored a variety of different regional magazines I have decided that, due to the fact that a lot of regional magazines are aimed at an older audience, I needed to create a magazine which appealed to a wide age range. I have decided on this because from my research, I have decided that young people aren't interested in exploring the print medium when it comes to Cornish regional magazines - they would rather explore their county's heritage, places to visit etc. online, through digital media. This is one of the reasons why I have decided to create a website for my magazine - it will appeal to the younger audience more than the older audience. Having noted this, I decided that by appealing to a wide age range I can attempt to hoax in the small proportion of the younger audience as well as a regional magazine's conventional audience.

To try and do this I will need to research what all age ranges want to see in my regional magazine - it will need to incorporate sections concerning music, arts, culture, places to visit, food, exciting opportunities in the county as well as things like work placements and job opportunities.

Through looking at existing regional magazines, I can tell, through looking at conventions, features etc. that these are aimed at an older audience (Cornwall Today, Devon Life). I don't want to break away from these conventions too much, however I will need to incorporate a broader range of content to attract the demographic which I am aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment