Friday 29 November 2013

Cover Construction

To start the editing process I opened my cover image in Photoshop. I decided to blur the background (I used the blur tool) to get rid of marks in the background and also make it look smoother and therefore more professional. This also made my image stand out and perhaps appear slightly more three dimensional - this makes the cover more interesting and appealing to the target audience.

Next, I overlaid a plain white text box over the top of my cover (here I used the rectangle tool to create my box) - I cut out my model's hat and overlaid it to give it a professional, three dimensional feel. This also fits the common conventions of the genre and other music magazines.


To create the effect I wanted to, I cut out a rough selection of my model's hat and hair, using the quick selection tool, so that I could then overlay this over my white text box. I also refined the edge so that it was smooth and gave a professional effect. This, in turn would give me a 3D effect. I copied and pasted and then arranged my layer order so that this one was at the top.

I then went on to insert my masthead -I experimented with this so that I could allow it to represent my audience to the best of its ability. I added the 'bevel and emboss' feature to make it stand out - I also experimented with using a drop shadow however I didn't feel that it worked as well as it could have in this particular instance. 
Next, I laid this behind my model so that I could help represent the audience as well as the genre. Moreover, it makes it look professional and helps to show the music magazine genre of indie. I erased this part of her hat so I could create this effect - I used the mask tool to do this.


To make my masthead stand out I changed the layer style so that I could add a 'bevel & emboss feature as well as a 'stroke' feature. This, in turn allowed my masthead to stand out to a higher quality. 

My main story was the next section which I came to - I created one which represents the audience through use of colours and also text boxes. I also added the 'bevel and emboss' feature to this so that it could present conventions of magazines in this genre. 


To create my text boxes I used the rectangle tool to create the box. I could then change the colour and size depending on where on the page I wanted to use it. I then went on to use this tool on many occasions to create boxes, on some occasions I copied and pasted boxes so save time - moreover, it also saved 'colour picking' a colour and then re-filling a new text box.

I then moved on to extra sections of text, both of which I backed with a drop shadow to make them stand out and hence represent my target audience. These extra sections of text both have a drop shadow on which make them stand out as they are the main focal point of the page in terms of typography. Moreover, I experimented with using capital letters for particular words to ensure that specific parts stood out and attracted the eye of my target audience.
I then decided to add text to my banner at the top of the page, I stuck with colours that I have used in the rest of my colour - these colours are my corporate colours and represent my target audience.


I moved onto my bar code next - in this section I incorporated the price, date and issue number - this represents my audience through common conventions and also consistency throughout copies. I found that this is a common conventions of other music magazine covers and it's something that would interest my target audience. I created my bad code through use of a plain white rectangle used as the background - this was created through the use of the rectangle tool.


To help represent conventions, I added the abbreviated word onto my cover - this shows the audience the meaning of the name and gives them insurance as to the genre of the magazine. I have developed this section after having worked through my 'Masthead Experiments' post - I feel that this represents my target audience to the highest possible standard that I can achieve.
To add to my cover I decided to add a 'review special section' which represents my target audience through allowing them to know what's inside the magazine. The words 'review special' stand out and catch the eye and the list of bands will also attract the eye of specific fans of their music. This section of the page appeals to my target audience through their interests in alternative music and also live music festivals. These ideas can also be shown through stereotypes of youth. 
Finally I added three cover stories onto my cover so that I could give my audience a 'teaser' as to what's inside my magazine. It represents them through providing interesting, relevant information which appeals to the target audience. I added plain white boxes behind certain areas of this text to make it stand out. I did this through the rectangle tool in the tool bar in Photoshop - I then just had to fill the shape my chosen colour.


No comments:

Post a Comment